voodoo-modest
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:54 pm

Reply to topic  [ 309 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16
 Music is Haraam 

Unread post Re: Can I get some help please ?
Hadith - Bukhari 7:494

Narrated Abu 'Amir or Abu Malik Al-Ash'ari that he heard the Prophet saying, "From among my followers there will be some people who will consider illegal sexual intercourse, the wearing of silk, the drinking of alcoholic drinks, and the use of musical instruments as lawful. And (from them), there will be some who will stay near the side of a mountain, and in the evening their shepherd will come to them with their sheep and ask them for something, but they will say to him, 'Return to us tomorrow.' Allah will destroy them during the night and will let the mountain fall on them, and Allah will transform the rest of them into monkeys and pigs and they will remain so till the Day of Resurrection."

The Noble Qur'an - Luqman 31:6

And of mankind is he who purchases idle talks (i.e. music, singing, etc.) to mislead (men) from the Path of Allah without knowledge, and takes it (the Path of Allah, the Verses of the Qur'an) by way of mockery. For such there will be a humiliating torment (in the Hell-Fire).

Ibn Masood (ra) said about this verse "I swear by the One other than Whom there is no God that it refers to singing [ghinaa].", and he repeated this three times. Ibn Abbaas (ra) said it refered to 'singing and the like' while Jaabir (ra) is reported to view its meaning to signify singing and listening to songs. Many taabi'oon such as Mujaahid, Ikrimah, Mak-hool and Umar ibn Shu'ayb viewed it as a censure of music and song.

Hadith - Bukhari (#787) [Also related by Tabari]

Sa'id ibn Jbayr reported that Ibn 'Abbas said about the verse: "And of mankind is he who purchases idle talks" (31:6), that, "ldle talks means singing and the like."

Sun Sep 18, 2011 2:31 am
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TuentiShare on SonicoShare on FriendFeedShare on OrkutShare on DiggShare on MySpaceShare on DeliciousShare on TechnoratiShare on TumblrShare on Google+

I've seen that text before.. I think the hadith is not very clear ,, Idle talks is not synonymous with Singing and music ... and BTW .,,i've seen a hadith where the prophet was walking with a companion ,, and the came across a man playing a flute .. the prophet just covered his ears and told the companion(i dont remember who ) to just inform ,,when the music is stopped ,... the prophet , nor did the companion warn that person not to do so.. nor did the prophet tell anything to the companion about it... Maybe he covered his ears because he was in dhikr.....

Furthermore, when Abu Bakr (PBUH) scolded 2 girls playing drum and singing songs ,, the prophet told Abu Bark (PBUH) to not to scold them .. let them do whatever they are doing....

I believe Music is a beautiful art ...and the hadith which you mentioned ,, i think it is appicable to artists of today ,, Lady gaga ,jay z , eminem , katy perry . and the list goes on and on ...

as i mentioned , i only listen to Michael jackosn , Beethoven , mozart , bach , etc ..
Their music doesnot contain any obscene content nor anything which deviates me or anyone from the worship of Allah ....

I want an accurate opinion , not some Copy/paste text from a website .............. please !!! anyone ?

Sun Sep 18, 2011 2:54 am

Please USE THE SEARCH BUTTON before posting.

I believe you can find your answers here in this topic:- http://www.wup-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=13566

Also see this video :-

I believe having finding your answers in the topic and comparing the music with water would really explain to you the harmful effects of music upon you since your body is made up of 75% of water. Heart made of clay ;)

Good luck finding out the answer! ;)

Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:17 am
Supporter

Unread post Re: Music is Haraam
topic merged with original. please use the search feature before posting new topics, thanks :)

Then a man asked Rasulollah (pbuhaf): "I will help him if he is oppressed. But if he is the oppressor, how can I help him!?"

Rasulollah (pbuhaf) said: "You stop him from his oppression, for in that is help for him."

Anas bin Malik (r)

Sahih al-Bukhari, Vol. 3, #623

Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:39 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Supporter

XieShan wrote:

Narrated Abu 'Amir or Abu Malik Al-Ash'ari that he heard the Prophet saying, "From among my followers there will be some people who will consider illegal sexual intercourse, the wearing of silk, the drinking of alcoholic drinks, and the use of musical instruments as lawful. And (from them), there will be some who will stay near the side of a mountain, and in the evening their shepherd will come to them with their sheep and ask them for something, but they will say to him, 'Return to us tomorrow.' Allah will destroy them during the night and will let the mountain fall on them, and Allah will transform the rest of them into monkeys and pigs and they will remain so till the Day of Resurrection."

It doesn't get any clearer than this. People stop listening music here or they follow their desires further on. Simple.

There are hadeeths allowing music, yes, they are allowing music is specific sitations and are perfectly logical.
For example, if you are joining the group of unbelievers with the intention of doing dawa and there's music at their place you wont start panic and screaming "Turn if off, haram!!" because it would be the end of your dawa.
Convincing someone to start praying salat is much more important than advicing them to stop listening music.

However it's clear that music is haraam in Islam and those denying that fact are doing so -only- because of their desires. Yes, music can sometimes be good, so can alcohol and gambling, yet we do not seek good through haraam.

Allah SWT knows the best.

2:256
There is no compulsion in religion. Verily, the Right Path has become distinct from the wrong path. Whoever disbelieves in Taghut and believes in Allah, then he has grasped the most trustworthy handhold that will never break. And Allah is All-Hearer, All-Knower.

Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:44 am
Admin/Forum Technician

Imam Afroz Ali wrote:
The question of music is a complex one and there are valid differences of opinion surrounding it. As a quick introductory statement, we as Muslims must realise that understand the Fiqh (Legal Ruling) of any matter is not as simple as quoting a Qur'anic verse or pointing to a Hadeeth. In fact, the Companions, and definitely the two generations following them (Tabi'een and Tabi' Tabi'een) refrained from quoting from the Sunnah or the Qur'an without proper analysis of many many issues, e.g., linguistic proofs, context of revelation as well as a narration of the Prophet (upon whom be peace and blessings of Allah), absolute and qualified narrations, universality and particularity of verses and narrations, etc. These are deeply developed sciences. The points below are the summaries of rulings based on such a thorough understanding of the Shari'ah, rather than those who simply claim to quote a verse or a Hadith as proof.
Further, it is also important to note that music and singing are essentially two different things, not mutually exlusive but certainly not dependent of each other. In other words, one does not have to have music to sing, but at the same time they are both musical matters.

In regards to the question itself, the matter can be broken down into the following categories of assessment, each holding its own ruling and differences of opinion.

We will start from those matters unanimously agreed upon to be prohibited.

1. The kinds of singing which are unequivocally prohibited are those which contain the celebration of the material world and includes sexual connotation and that which is also inappropriate in speaking, e.g., swearing, sexually expletive language, and the like. In Fiqh this is usually referred to as Tarab. Almost all Hollywood (and Bollywood...) songs will fit in here.

2. The kinds of singing which are also unequivocally prohibited, are those that remove a person away from the worship and appropriate presence with Allah, e.g., leading a person to be involved with cross-gender mixing, lazing around (rather than taking a short break to relax from exhaustion. In such cases, as we will see below, there is permission to listen to musical matters that glorify Allah and praise the Prophet), ignoring one's rights and responsibilities, and the like.

3. Those kinds of singing which are unequivocally permitted are those which glorify Allah and praise the Prophet. Much can be said about this, but it will be a whole book! So in summary, this is usually taken to be permissible as a respite rather than the norm of "iPod in the ear 24/7". It is also permissible to have such appropriate singing of happiness (rather than directly about Allah and His Messenger) that soothe the heart in a Halal manner for festivals and weddings. These kinds of singing are usually referred to as inshad and sama'.

4. Those kinds of singing which are general, and are neither prohibited nor specifically about goodness and happiness (but may be e.g., about politics or environment, etc), the majority of Scholars hold that it is permissible only in its context rather than a habit to listen and enjoy. If it is habituated and leads an individual to ignore their rights and responsibilities, then it is not permitted. Almost all Hollywood and Bollywood songs fit in here.

Now to music:

1. The kind of music referred to as malahi are abhorred and prohibited. This kind of music is simply for entertainment for dance, frivolous enjoyment and the like.

2. Those kinds of music from the duff and similar drums (under the category of ma'azif) are unequivocally permissible. Of course, the songs attached to it must be permissible as outlined above. Further the use of the drums are unequivocally permissible for festivals and weddings and joyous times.

3. The critical difference of opinion is regarding different kinds of musical instruments; it is incorrect to suggest that all musical instruments are held to be prohibited in Islam. The fact is that the major prohibition of music is because at the time of the Prophet, they very often were used in the context of malahi - (1) above, hence easily claimed that it is prohibited in all circumstances. But this is not the case. As such (and the same for singing with or without music):

i) If the music is part of glorifying Allah and His Messenger, this is held to be permissible by the majority of Scholars;

ii) If the music is for entertainment and pastime, it is prohibited;

iii) If the music is for soothing and serenity of the mind which helps one to remember Allah, as long as it does not remove one from obeying Allah or one's rights and responsibilities, there is a significant difference of opinion, and is best to minimise such involvement if not avoided. If you saw someone listening to such a musical matter, do not place judgment on them nor force your opinion on others regarding this category.

In conclusion, avoid all singing, music, gatherings of entertainment, except for gatherings of melodious remembrance of Allah and His Messenger. And, be cautious if singing and music which are of spiritually happiness (not material) and also leads one to remember Allah and only listen sparingly if one could not avoid it at all.

Insha Allah that gives you a practical set of guidelines and the scope of permissibility as well as definite prohibitions and as such help you to live your life better in the presence of Allah Ta'ala.

Part 9:

The Wake Up Project proudly presents it's newest documentary investigating the signs leading to the last day of judgment and resurrection that have already occurred and continue to intensify.

{People are strange when you're a stranger...}

Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:03 pm
Profile WWW
Researcher

^ @ Bro Insha,

JazakAllah for sharing such an insightful over-view.
I havent read anything from this thread, except this for this post above - you have saved me a whole lot of time.

JazakAllah,

Slms

Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:13 pm
Researcher

ive been encountering hadiiths about music ,esspecially RasoolAllah's saying the worst of my ummah will do (music) it.

im not sure anymore which one is true. but i think i will gladly face my punishment of listening to this masterpiece in AHIRAT when i bite the dust in this world.
how could this masterpiece be sinful? Oh God SubhanAllah.. :( :( crying icons all over the place

or this one

Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:16 pm

Unread post Music is Haraam?
Explanation from Sheikh Ibn Baz

Shaykh Ibn Baz (may Allah have mercy on him) said in Majmoo' al-Fataawa, 3/423-424:

"Ma'aazif refers to singing and musical instruments. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) told us that at the end of time there will come a people who will allow these things just as they will allow alcohol, zina and silk. This is one of the signs of his Prophethood, for all of this has happened. The hadeeth indicates that [musical instruments] are haram (prohibited), and condemns those who say they are halal (permissible), just as it condemns those who say that alcohol and zina are allowed. The aayaat and ahaadeeth that warn against singing and musical instruments are many indeed. Whoever claims that Allaah has allowed singing and musical instruments is lying and is committing a great evil. We ask Allaah to keep us from obeying our desires and the Shaytaan. Even worse and more seriously sinful than that are those who say it is mustahabb. Undoubtedly this stems from ignorance about Allaah and His Religion; it is insolent blasphemy against Allaah and lying about His Laws.

Hadith - Sunan of Abu Dawood, #4909, Narrated Abdullah ibn Mas'ud

Salam ibn Miskin, quoting an old man who witnessed AbuWa'il in a wedding feast, said: They began to play, amuse and sing. He united the support of his hand round his knees that were drawn up, and said: I heard Abdullah (ibn Mas'ud) say: I heard the apostle of Allah (peace be upon him) say: Singing produces hypocrisy in the heart.

The Prohibition (from Qur'an)
The Noble Qur'an - Luqman 31:6

And of mankind is he who purchases idle talks (i.e. music, singing, etc.) to mislead (men) from the Path of Allah without knowledge, and takes it (the Path of Allah, the Verses of the Qur'an) by way of mockery. For such there will be a humiliating torment (in the Hell-Fire).

Ibn Masood (ra) said about this verse "I swear by the One other than Whom there is no God that it refers to singing [ghinaa].", and he repeated this three times. Ibn Abbaas (ra) said it refered to 'singing and the like' while Jaabir (ra) is reported to view its meaning to signify singing and listening to songs. Many taabi'oon such as Mujaahid, Ikrimah, Mak-hool and Umar ibn Shu'ayb viewed it as a censure of music and song.

Hadith - Bukhari (#787) [Also related by Tabari]

Sa'id ibn Jbayr reported that Ibn 'Abbas said about the verse: "And of mankind is he who purchases idle talks" (31:6), that, "ldle talks means singing and the like."

The Noble Qur'an - Al-Isra 17:64

"And Istafiz [literally means: befool them gradually] those whom you can among them with your voice (i.e. songs, music, and other call for Allah's disobedience)..."

Shaykh Ibn Taymiyah (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) made allowances for certain types of musical instruments at weddings and the like, and he made allowances for women to play the daff at weddings and on other joyful occasions. But the men at his time did not play the daff or clap with their hands. It was narrated in al-Saheeh that he said: "Clapping is for women and tasbeeh (saying Subhaan Allaah) is for men." And he cursed women who imitate men and men who imitate women.

Because singing and playing the daff are things that women do, the Salaf (men of the far past) used to call any man who did that a mukhannath (effeminate man), and they used to call male singers effeminate - and how many of them there are nowadays! It is well known that the Salaf said this.

Sun May 27, 2012 7:35 pm
Reply to topic   [ 309 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16